For other uses, see Pulse (disambiguation).
In medicine, a person's pulse is the throbbing of their arteries as an effect of the heart beat. It puse can be felt at pule the neck, at the wrist and other places.
Pressure waves move through the blood puls vessels, which are pliable; it is not caused by the forward movement of the pluse blood. When the heart contracts, blood is ejected into the aorta and the aorta stretches. At pules this point the wave of distention (pulse wave) is most pronounced, but relatively pulso slow-moving (3 to 5 m/s). As it travels towards the peripheral blood pulsd vessels, pulse it gradually diminishes and becomes faster. In the large arterial branches, its dj pulse velocity is 7 to 10 m/s; in the small arteries, it is 15 to 35 m/s. The pressure pulse of the maggots pulse is transmitted 15 or more times more steel pulse rapidly than the blood flow.
The term pulse is also used, although incorrectly, to denote the frequency of pink floyd pulse the heart beat, usually measured in beats per minute. In most people, the pulse pulse oximeter is an accurate measure slipknot pulse of the maggots of heart rate. Under certain circumstances, including arrhythmias, some of the heart beats are ineffective and the aorta is pulse rate not stretched enough to create a palpable pressure pulse movie wave. The pulse is irregular and the heart rate can be (much) normal pulse rate higher than the pulse rate. In this case, the heart rate should be pulse the movie determined by auscultation of the heart apex, in which case it is not the pulse. The pulse monitor pulse deficit (difference between heart beats and pulsations at the periphery) should be determined by high pulse rate simultaneous palpation at the radial artery and auscultation at the low pulse rate heart apex.
A normal pulse rate for a healthy adult, pink floyd pulse dvd while resting, can range from 60 to 100 electromagnetic pulse beats per minute (BPM). During sleep, this can drop to as low as 40 BPM; during strenuous exercise, pulse light therapy it can rise as high as 200–220 BPM. pulse rate monitor Generally, pulse rates are higher in younger persons. A resting heart pulse oximeters rate for an infant is as high as or higher pulse ox than an adult's pulse rate during strenuous exercise.
Besides its rate, the pulse has other qualities slipknot - pulse of the maggots which reflect the state of the cardiovascular system, such as finger pulse oximeter its rhythm, fullness and the shape of the pulse pulse oximetry wave. Certain diseases cause characteristic changes in these qualities. The absence of a pulse at the temple pulse ultra of the skull can be a sign of giant pulse trailer cell arteritis; absent or decreased pulses in the limbs may indicate peripheral artery pulse engineering occlusive disease.
Pulses are manually palpated with fingers or thumb. When palpating the carotid artery, the femoral artery or the the pulse brachial artery, the thumb may be used. However, the thumb pulse jet has its own pulse which causes of high pulse rate can interfere with detecting the patient's pulse at other points, where two or three fingers should be used. Fingers star pulse or thumb must be placed near an artery and pressed gently pulse pressure against a firm structure, usually a bone, world pulse festival in order to feel the pulse.
An alternative way of finding pulse rate is by listening to the heartbeat. This normal pulse is most commonly pulse oximetry overnight done with a stethoscope but can also be done using anything that will transmit sound to pulse width modulation the ears, or by pressing the ear directly to the chest.
Checking the radial pulse.
Common pulse points
- radial pulse - located on the pulse width modulator thumb side of the wrist (radial artery)
- ulnar pulse - trigger pulse generator located on the little finger side of the wrist (ulnar artery)
- carotid pulse - located in the average pulse rate neck (carotid movie pulse artery). The carotid artery should be palpated gently. Stimulating its baroreceptors with vigorous palpitation can provoke severe bradycardia or even stop the pink floyd pulse mp3 heart in some sensitive persons. pulse combustion Also, a person's two carotid arteries should not be palpated at the same time, to avoid a risk pulse and cocktails of fainting or brain ischemia.
- brachial pulse - located between the biceps and pulse code modulation triceps, on the pulse rifle medial side of the elbow cavity; frequently used in place of carotid pulse in infants (brachial sporting pulse artery)
- femoral pulse - located in the thigh pulse on america (femoral artery)
- popliteal pulse - located behind the knee in the popliteal fossa, found by holding the bent knee. The patient bends the apical pulse knee at approximately 120°, and the physician holds it in both hands to pulse 24 find the popliteal artery in the pulse generator pit behind the knee.
- dorsalis pedis pulse - the pulse movie located on top of the foot (dorsalis pedis artery)
- tibialis posterior pulse - located in the weather pulse back of the ankle behind the medial malleolus (posterior tibial artery).
- temporal pulse - located on the temple directly metro pulse in front of anime pulse the ear (temporal artery)
The ease of palpability of a pulse is dictated by the patient's blood pressure. If his or high resting pulse rate her systolic blood pressure is below 90 mmHg, the radial pulse will not be palpable. intense pulse light Below 80 mmHg, the brachial lennox pulse furnace pulse will not be palpable. Below 60 mmHg, the carotid pulse will not low pulse be palpable. Since systolic blood pressure rarely drops that low, the lack of steel pulse mp3 a carotid pulse usually indicates death. It is not unheard of, however, cue the pulse to begin for patients with certain injuries, illnesses or pink floyd - pulse other medical problems to be conscious and aware with no palpable pulse.
Attributes of pulse rates Pulse measurement.
Include the rate or frequency of the pulse and its rhythm including its regularity and quality expressed pulses as volume or strength
- Heart rate
- Physical examination
- Pulsus bisferiens
- Pulsus paradoxus (paradoxical pulse)
- Pulsus tardus resting pulse et parvus
How to measure your Blood Pressure
Categories: Medical signs | Medical tests