Seasonal affective disorder, or SAD, also known as winter depression is an affective, or mood disorder. Most SAD sufferers experience normal mental health dad throughout most of the year, but experience depressive sas symptoms in the winter or summer. SAD is rare, if existent at all, in the tropics, but asd is measurably present at latitudes of ad 30°N (or S) and higher.
- 1 Pathophysiology
- 2 Treatment
- 3 History
- 4 SAD sd sa and Bipolar Disorder
- 5 Famous sufferers
- 6 See also
- 7 Notes
- 8 External sae links
Seasonal mood variations are believed to be related mostly to daylight, not ssd temperature. For this reason, SAD is prevalent even in sda mid-latitude places with mild winters, such as Seattle and Vancouver. People who live saf in the Arctic region are especially susceptible due to sab the effects of polar nights. Prolonged periods of overcast weather can also exacerbate SAD. SAD saad is a serious disorder, sometimes triggering dysthymia sadd or clinical depression. It may require hospitalization.
Norman Rosenthal, MD, pioneer in SAD research, has estimated that the prevalence sbd of SAD in the adult US population is between aad 1.4 percent (in Florida) and 9.7 percent (in New Hampshire).
Various etiologies have ssad been suggested. One possibility is that SAD is related szd to a lack of serotonin and that exposure to full-spectrum artificial light may improve the sad condition by stimulating serotonin production, although this has been disputed., Another theory is sad songs that melatonin produced in the pineal gland is the primary sad poems cause,, since there are direct connections between the retina and the pineal sad face gland. sad love quotes Some studies show that melatonin levels do not appear to differ between those love and sad poems with and without SAD. However, mice incapable of synthesizing melatonin appear to express "depression-like" behaviors, and melatonin receptor sad music ligands produce antidepressant-like effect in mice. Light therapy appears to be effective in treating SAD, but the exact mechanism of sad love poems the effect is still unknown.
Although Dr. sad anime Rosenthal first called this disorder "winter blues", this term is more often used to describe something felt sad quotes by a greater number during the winter. This blue feeling can usually be dampened or sad faces extinguished sad angel by exercise and increased outdoor activity, particularly on sunny days, resulting in sad love songs increased solar exposure. (Most people get less outdoor exercise during the winter.) Connections between human mood, as well as energy levels, sad statue and the seasons are well-documented, even in healthy sad song individuals. Particularly in high latitudes (50°N or S) sad eyes it is common for people to experience lower energy levels during the winter.
A number of treatments exist for SAD. sad poetry These include light therapies, medication, sad puppy ionized-air reception and cognitive therapy.
Treatments using light are the most common, and of these sad people bright-light therapies tend to be the treatment of choice. A sad fairy specially designed light, many times brighter sad pictures than normal office lighting, is placed near the sufferer. It hindi sad diamonds should provide a dose of 10,000 lux, and be used for 30-60 minutes sad clown daily. The sufferer should remain within sight of the light-box, with their eyes open sad piano and unshielded, but not directly staring at the lights. The best time to administer light system of a down sad statue therapy is still a matter of debate, though use in sad light therapy the morning has been suggested to mimic the effects of normal dawn on the patient. sad love story In fact, some studies have shown dawn simulation to be as effective as breaking up sad love quotes bright lights in treating SAD.  Light therapy may take several weeks sad songs list to take full effect though some sad stories improvement should be noted within a week. It should be continued best sad songs until natural daily light exposure becomes sufficient, usually during spring .
. The use of a bright light-box is the most effective, sad song lyrics leading to around 85% success rates
If light therapy has little or no sad dog effect, medication can used as an additional treatment when prescribed. Selective sad man serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) have proven effective in treating SAD. Examples of these antidepressants are fluoxetine (Prozac), sad icons sertraline (Zoloft, sad death songs Lustral), or paroxetine (Paxil).  Bupropion (Wellbutrin XL), an antidepressant of the aminoketone sad woman class, is also effective.  Fluoxetine does not another sad love song appear to be any more effective than light therapy in direct head-to-head trials.
Studies by Michael Terman show the benefit top sad songs of negative air ionization, sad angels where people passively receive charged particles from an electronic device. . In addition, recent studies of University of Vermont sad violin psychologist Kelly Rohan showed that cognitive therapy can relieve the symptoms of SAD. naruto sad 
Winter depression (or winter blues) is a common slump in the mood of Scandinavians. Doctors estimate sad cartoons that about 20% of all sad person Swedes are affected, and it seems to be hereditary. sad fairies It was first described by the 6th century Goth scholar Jordanes in his Getica where sad country songs he described the inhabitants of Scandza (Scandinavia).
In the sad songs album USA the diagnosis of seasonal affective disorder was first proposed by Norman E. Rosenthal, anime sad MD sad art in 1984. Rosenthal wondered why he became muggish during the winter after moving from sunny South Africa to New gangster sad love poems York. He started experimenting increasing exposure to artificial top sad song light, and found this made a difference.
SAD and Bipolar i want to hear you sad Disorder
Most people with SAD experience unipolar depression, but as many as 20% may have or go on to develop a oasis sad song bipolar or manic-depressive disorder. 
Famous sufferers of SAD sad backgrounds include Miriam Taffel, renowned for her work in the fields of psychology and intelligent sad friendship quotes systems.
Jillian Barberie of Good Day sad tango L.A. has mentioned during the program that she suffered from SAD when she sad poem lived in Ontario, Canada.
Johnny Briggs, who played Mike Baldwin in Coronation Street, also suffers from sad classical music SAD.
Musician Rick Strom has credited his most creative sad girls periods to SAD.
Norman E. Rosenthal, MD, first sad lights researcher into the effect of light upon mood.
Natalie Imbruglia, famous australian singer, suffered from sad break up love quotes SAD during a longer stay in London, England.
- Depression (mood)
- Human factors
- Human reliability
- Circadian rhythm sad myspace layouts sleep disorder
- ^ Seasonal affective disorder: autumn onset, winter gloom - sad drawings board review
- ^ Johansson C, et al. (2001) Seasonal affective disorder and serotonin-related very sad love crush quotes polymorphisms. Neurobiol Dis. 8(2):351–7.
- ^ Johansson sad msn names C, et al. (2003) The serotonin transporter promoter repeat length polymorphism, seasonal affective disorder and seasonality. Psychol Med. 33(5):785–92.
- ^ The Merck happy sad mask sad clowns manual
- ^ National mental health association article
- ^ Prolonged swim-test immobility of serotonin N-acetyltransferase (AANAT)-mutant mice
- ^ Reliability sad kids assessment of an automated forced swim test device using two mouse strains
- ^ The antidepressant-like effect sad love of the melatonin receptor ligand luzindole in sad sayings mice during forced swimming requires expression of MT2 but not MT1 melatonin receptors
- ^ Literature from the sad sack feeling sad SADA website
- ^ Avery DH et al. (2001) Dawn simulation and bright light in the treatment of SAD: a controlled study. sad instrumental Biol Psychiatry. 50(3):205–16.
- ^ SAD information from the WSC Counseling Center
- ^ [http://www.biopsychiatry.com/bupropionxl-sad.htm sad iron Seasonal affective disorder and its prevention sads by anticipatory treatment with bupropion XL ]
- ^ Lam RW, Levitt AJ, Levitan RD, et al. (2006). black ultralux floor lamp light therapy sad unit "The Can-SAD study: a randomized controlled trial of the effectiveness of light therapy and lists of sad songs fluoxetine sad cafe in patients with winter seasonal affective disorder". Am J Psychiatry 163 (5): 805–12.
- ^ Controlled trial of bright light and negative sad life quotes air ions for sad sonata chronic depression
- ^ Cognitiv Reactivity In Seasonal Affecive Disorder
- ^ Interview with Natalie Imbruglia 17th June 2005
- A non sad song oasis profit site dedicated confused sad quotes to Seasonal Affective Disorder created by chronobiological researchers, including lightbox criterias, individual professional advice and newest hindi sad diamonds mp3 clinical studies
- Seasonal Affective Disorder at the Open Directory Project
- Light Therapy as a home S.A.D. Treatment
- Articles including kind of a sad visit if you don't plan to adopt clinical studies, press articles and advice on Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Information on Seasonal Affective Disorder. A sad depressing love songs high quality 10,000 lux sad eyed lady of the lowlands light box is also available for purchase
- The Seasonal sad lyrics Affective Disorder Association (SADA), a UK-based charitable organisation
Categories: Articles with unsourced statements | Mood disorders | Circadian rhythms