This article is about the species Cavia porcellus. For the parent genus, see Cavia. For the series of Japanese guinea pig horror films, see Guinea Pig (film series).
|?Domestic Guinea guine pigs Pig
Guinea pigs (also ginea pigs called cavies or pargs) are rodents belonging to the guinee pigs family Caviidae and the genus Cavia, originally indigenous to the Andes.
Despite their common name, the gunea pigs animals are not pigs, nor do they come from Guinea.
- 1 History
- 2 Name
- 3 Traits guinea pgs and environment
- 4 Breeding
- 5 Diet
- 6 Health
- 7 Domestic guniea pigs guinea pigs
- 8 Guinea guiena pigs pigs in scientific research
- 9 Guinea giunea pigs pigs as food
- 10 Guinea pigs in the popular imagination
- 10.1 Literature
- 10.2 Film and guinae pigs television
- 11 See guines pigs also
- 12 References
- 13 External links
Black guinea pigs are considered especially holy
The common guinea pig was first domesticated gunie pigs in about 2000 BC for food by the mountain tribes, in guinea pigs the Andean region of South America, in baby guinea pigs what is now Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia. They continue to be a food source in guinea pigs for sale the region, subsisting off a family's vegetable scraps as a pet. baby long haired peruvian guinea pigs for sale They also play the role of evil-spirit collector in traditional healing rituals. Guinea pigs baby guinea pigs for sale are called quwi in Quechua and cuy or cuyo (pl. cuyes, cuyos) in Spanish of Ecuador, Perú and breeding guinea pigs Bolivia with universal acceptance in the human guinea pigs Spanish speaking world.
Dutch and English traders brought guinea pigs to Europe, where they quickly became popular as exotic pets.
How the animals came to be thought of as "pigs" is not clear. One pictures of baby guinea pigs thought is that some of the picture of guinea pigs sounds they make reminded people of pigs, for they emit a variety of sounds, some very similar to guinea pigs like noise a pig's squeal. They are also built somewhat pictures of guinea pigs like a pig, with a large head relative to the body, a stout neck, and a rounded rump guinea pigs get paid make easy money with no tail of any consequence; what do guinea pigs eat they also spend a large amount of time eating. They can survive fairly well for long periods of black guinea pigs time in small quarters, like a 'pig pen', and were thus easily drawings of guinea pigs transported on ships to Europe.
The animal's name carries connotations of it being a pig in guinea pigs and fleas many languages; the German word for them is Meerschweinchen, literally "little sea pigs" (sailing ships stopping to guinea pigs as pets reprovision in the cute guinea pigs New World would pick up stores of guinea pigs, which provided an easily transportable source guinea pigs fleas of fresh meat), the Russian and Polish word for them (morskaya svinka (Морская свинка) and świnka morska respectively) real guinea pigs for sale is similar in meaning. The Welsh term is mochyn cwta ('little pig'), the French Cochon d'Inde (Indian guinea pigs for sale in ma pig); the Dutch used to call it guinees biggetje (Guinean piglet), in Lithuania, how to take care of guinea pigs they are called "juros clothes for guinea pigs kioules" meaning sea pig, and in Scandinavia they are called marsvin (a types of guinea pigs combination of the Latin word mare for ocean, and Norwegian/Swedish/Danish svin which facts on guinea pigs means pig). In Greek they are called indika xoiridia (ινδικά χοιρίδια, Small Indian sounds guinea pigs make Pigs), and in Portuguese porquinho da Índia (Little Indian Pig). In Italian the term toys for guinea pigs is either Porcellino d'India (Little Indian Pig) or Cavia Peruviana (Peruvian Cavy). This is not universal; for example, the common Spanish word is what healthy food do guinea pigs like conejillo de Indias (Indian bunny rabbit / Indies bunny).
The scientific name guinea pigs breeding of a common long haired guinea pigs species is Cavia porcellus, with porcellus being Latin for "little pig". Cavia is dervived from Portugese çavia (now savia) from long haired peruvian guinea pigs the Tupi word sawiya, meaning rat.
The origin of pregnant guinea pigs "guinea" in "guinea pig" is adorable pictures of guinea pigs even harder to explain. According to the etymology of the entry for "guinea pig" in The American Heritage® all about guinea pigs Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, care of guinea pigs the term guinea pig is "Perhaps [an] alteration (influenced hairless guinea pigs by Guinea, used as a name for any faraway unknown country), of Guiana". One theory is that the animals were brought to Europe how to caer for guinea pigs by way of Guinea, leading people to think they had originated there. Another theory how to care for guinea pigs suggests that "Guinea" in the case of the guinea pig is long haired sheltie guinea pigs a corruption of "Guiana", putting two guinea pigs together an area in South America. A common misconception is that they were so named because they were sold as safe vegetables for guinea pigs the closest thing to a what color are guinea pigs when they are born pig one could get for a guinea (an old British coin with a value of 21 shillings, or 1.05 GBP in modern decimal currency). abyssinian guinea pigs However, evidence does not support this conjecture: for example, the Dutch name can rabbits guinea pigs be kept together refers to the country of Guinea rather than the British different breeds of guinea pigs coin, and the first guinea pig was described dwarf guinea pigs in 1554 by the Swiss naturalist Konrad Gesner more than a hundred years before good names for guinea pigs the first guinea was struck.
Traits and environment
guinea pigs allergies
Two abyssinian guinea pigs
Guinea pigs are large for rodents, weighing between 0.5 and 1.5 kg (1–3 guinea pigs for sale in tennessee animals dogs cats pounds), and measuring 25–40 cm (10–15 inches) long . They live an average of four to eight years
. According to the 1997 guinea pigs health Guinness Book of Records human guinea pigs remote sensing the longest living Guinea pig survived 15 years. They are medications for guinea pigs social, living in the wild in small groups which consist of sows (females), origin of guinea pigs a boar (male), and the young (which in a break with the preceding porcine nomenclature are called pups). pet guinea pigs Unlike similar rodents, Guinea pigs mate for life in the showing guinea pigs same pair bond. Domesticated Guinea pigs thrive in groups of two or more; groups what animals eat guinea pigs of sows, or groups of (a) sow(s) and a neutered boar are common what can guinea pigs eat combinations. Groups of boars may also get along, provided their cage has enough space, they are not introduced to a female, and eating guinea pigs proper introduction techniques are facts about guinea pigs employed. Some guinea pig owners report that female guinea pigs are more docile than their male counterparts, although each guinea guinea pigs + swollen genitals pig is different.
In their wild state, Guinea pigs are found on grassy plains and occupy guinea pigs in the wild an ecological niche similar to that of the cow. guinea pigs sale or adopt from arizona They move together in small groups (herds) eating grass or whatever other kinds of guinea pigs plants they come across. They are crepuscular, tending lice on guinea pigs to be most active during dawn and dusk, when it is harder for predators to spot them. If startled they likes and dislikes of guinea pigs can run for cover with surprising speed. Domestic guinea pigs rescue leagues in iowa that have guinea pigs have developed a different rhythm, and have longer periods teddy guinea pigs of activity followed by short periods of sleep in between. Activity is scattered randomly over the 24 hours blood in guinea pigs urine of the day.
Domestic guinea pigs generally live in cages. Cages with wire mesh floors are dutch guinea pigs not recommended by guinea pig owners as these can cause injury and may be guinea pigs and cholesterol metabolism associated with a foot infection commonly known as "bumblefoot" (ulcerative pododermatitis). guinea pigs and safety for women in pregnancy Cages are often lined with wood shavings or a similar material. guinea pigs balls Bedding made from red cedar and pine, both softwoods, were commonly used in past guinea pigs cage decades but are now believed to contain harmful guinea pigs color born phenols (aromatic hydrocarbons) and oils (particularly red cedar).
Many guinea pigs metronidazole retail stores and manufacturers still advertise softwood beddings as safe for guinea pigs, but guinea pigs ontario there is growing pressure to stop the practice. Safer human guinea pigs study beddings include those made from hardwoods (such as aspen), hemp, paper, or grain. A new idea for bedding is illnesses in guinea pigs the practice of lining inbred strains of guinea pigs the cage with newspaper or another absorbent material and covering it with fleece. This is names for pet guinea pigs cheaper than standard beddings, and easier to clean. Shredded office paper is another inexpensive alternative. "Cubes and Coroplast" (or C&C) open topped enclosures ; guinea pigs style cages are now a common choice.
Unlike many rodents such as mice, rats, or squirrels, guinea pigs are not rescued guinea pigs very athletic, although they require scurvy in guinea pigs ample space to run, jump, play, hide and rest. Jumping gaps, climbing, and fearlessness surprise, arizona guinea pigs in the face of heights were not skills guinea pigs needed in their natural environment, although they can hop over small obstacles with toy guinea pigs agility. When excited, Guinea pigs tend wild guinea pigs to do little jumps in the air (known as "popcorning").
Guinea pigs are vocal animals. Some animations of guinea pigs sounds are:
- Wheek - A loud noise that sounds about the same as its written form. An expression are guinea pigs nocturnal of general excitement, it can mean "feed me", "pay attention", or possibly can guinea pigs be litter box trained "I'm hurt". It is sometimes used to find can guinea pigs bite throught metal other guinea pigs if they are in a run. If a guinea pig is lost, it may "wheek" for can guinea pigs eat grapes assistance.
- Rumbling - This sound is related to Guinea color of guinea pigs pig dominance or in response to an unfamiliar sound. It can also come as a response to comfort or content. curly haired guinea pigs Whilst courting, a male usually purrs deeply, while swaying from side to side, nearly cuy guinea pigs photos lifting the diarrhea guinea pigs rear feet.
- Chattering - This sound is made by rapidly gnashing the teeth together—it is a warning to dogs and guinea pigs others to keep away. Guinea pigs tend to raise their dryvax and guinea pigs heads when making this sound so as to look more dangerous.
- Tribbling, Bubbling, or Purring - This rather pleasant sound is dryvax use in guinea pigs made when the guinea pig is eating guinea pigs in peru enjoying itself, when being petted or held. They may also make free guinea pigs to good home in connecticut this sound when grooming, crawling around to investigate a new place, or when given an unexpected food treat, funny guinea pigs like lettuce or carrots.
Pregnant sow one week before green beans for guinea pigs delivering three pups.
The gestation lasts from 63-72 days, which is quite long guinea pigs breeding season for such a small animal. Pups are already well developed, including fur, teeth, guinea pigs feet claws and full eyesight, when they are born. The young guinea pigs food are mobile from birth, and depending on the environment, will usually venture outdoors guinea pigs for sale in md within a week. Pups begin eating solid food after a guinea pigs know their name couple of days, though continue to suckle also. Males may demonstrate courtship behavior (following young guinea pigs mp3 females and making a "warbling" sound) in the second or third week after birth. Litters vary from two or guinea pigs pics three young to as many as eight or more. In smaller litters, guinea pigs rescue difficulties may occur during labour, due to how often do you groom guinea pigs oversized pups. Up to half the young may be lost in larger litters, as the how to breed guinea pigs mother cannot attend to the newborns fast enough. If a large humping guinea pigs number survive, it is likely that the weakest (or runts of the litter), will inbred guinea pigs be insufficiently nursed, resulting occasionally in the death of one or two pups. Lactating mothers' is cedar or pine bedding better for guinea pigs milk consists of approximately 3.9% fat, 8.1% long hair guinea pigs protein, and 3.0% lactose.
Many nursing supplements intended for other peruvian guinea pigs small animals may peruvian predators for guinea pigs not match guinea pig milk's composition.
Guinea pig pup at eight hours old.
Because of the long gestation period and pick up guinea pigs the large size of the pups, silky satin guinea pigs pregnant females may become large and eggplant-shaped, although the change in size stupid guinea pigs and shape varies among individual animals. Breeding males produce a strong musk that smells much like beeswax.
Females can texel guinea pigs be fertile as early as three weeks and can carry litters before they themselves what do the sounds guinea pigs make mean are adults. This can seriously affect zillions of photos of cute guinea pigs the growth of the young mother, as her unborn pups compete with her for nutrition. Females (sows) that bathing guinea pigs have never been bred and are older than eight months will develop irreversible fusing of their pelvic joint. birth of guinea pigs Males (boars) have been known to be fertile as brown curly haired guinea pigs early as 3-4 weeks of age but more typically around 5-6. Females can become pregnant in caring for guinea pigs less than 12 hours after giving birth, and it is not constipation in guinea pigs healthy for a female to be in virtually a constant state of pregnancy. Cohabitating females dental problems in guinea pigs may assist in mothering duties. Other serious complications of pregnancy can dryvax challenge of guinea pigs include a prolapsed flu challenge in guinea pigs uterus and hypocalcemia.
Toxemia of do guinea pigs like to swim pregnancy is common and kills many pregnant females. Signs of toxemia include anorexia, lack of energy, excessive salivation, and do guinea pigs see in colour a ketone breath odor, and in advanced cases seizures and death. Pregnancy do guinea pigs use running wheels toxemia appears to be most common in hot climates.
Guinea pigs food suitable for guinea pigs enjoy fresh grass.
Like humans but unlike most other mammals, guinea pigs cannot synthesize free care guide for guinea pigs their own vitamin C and must obtain this vital nutrient from food. Also like humans, if guinea pigs grooming your guinea pigs cannot get enough vitamin C they will suffer from scurvy and ultimately die. Guinea pigs require about 25-50mg guinea pigs - urine problems of vitamin C daily, which can be obtained through fresh, raw fruits and guinea pigs and allergies vegetables or through supplements fed to domestic animals. Guinea pigs often learn to guinea pigs and cat litter enjoy these tablets, eating them guinea pigs and their health from their owners' hands.
Grass is the guinea pig's natural diet. Grass guinea pigs arvada colorado digestion requires a special digestive system; whereas most grass-eating mammals are quite large and have guinea pigs asparagus a long digestive tract, guinea pigs use a more unusual method, practicing coprophagy, the eating of their own feces. However, they guinea pigs bananas do not consume their feces guinea pigs born without eyes indiscriminately. They produce special soft pellets, called "cecotropes", which contain guinea pigs cage love the B vitamins and bacteria required for proper digestion. These pellets are not the same as regular feces. They share this behaviour with rabbits.
A guinea pig eating an apple.
Guinea pigs benefit from feeding on grass hay such guinea pigs dieseases as timothy hay in addition to food pellets. Hay guinea pigs for sale in north carolina provides roughage and long-strand fiber needed in their diet which pellets alone do not provide. Alfalfa hay, a legume hay richer in guinea pigs grind teeth calcium and protein, is available guinea pigs health issues either fresh or in the form of pellets (the most common pellet-based feed available). Experts recommend guinea pigs just for pets that alfalfa and other foods rich in calcium, (such as spinach), be fed guinea pigs likes to adults only in moderation.
Diets with imbalanced Ca:P ratios may guinea pigs rescue fredericksburg virginia result in health problems and may possibly contribute to the formation of certain types of guinea pigs types bladder stones and bladder sludge. A number of brands of commercially prepared pellets exist that are based on dehydrated timothy hay, which guinea worms and guinea pigs are healthy guinea pigs ideally suited for guinea pigs over six months that are not pregnant or lactating.
A number of plants how do you clip a guinea pigs nails are poisonous to guinea pigs, including bracken, buttercup, bryony, charlock, deadly nightshade, hemlock, lily of the valley, privet, scarlet pimpernel, ragwort, various how long do guinea pigs stay pregnant parts of the potato plant, toadflax and tomato leaves. Additionally, any plant which grows from how to make guinea pigs happy a how to train guinea pigs bulb e.g., tulip and onion is normally considered poisonous.
Guinea pigs are also known i could be chainsawing guinea pigs in the parking lot to importance of pigs in papua new guinea consume large amounts of cloth (bed sheets, clothing, shoe laces) or even plastic, such as info on cats,dogs, and guinea pigs insulation around electrical cords. Surprisingly, they can usually withstand consuming such materials; although they are not recommended introducing pregnant guinea pig to other guinea pigs by owners for obvious reasons.
Common ailments in domestic guinea pigs include respiratory infections, diarrhea, scurvy (vitamin C kid friendly guinea pigs websites deficiency, lesions on guinea pigs symptoms include hind leg paralysis), abscesses (large amounts of a thick pus that create a bulge, often in liquid vitamin c guinea pigs their neck, due to infected internal scratches from hay that is pics of baby guinea pigs too hard or infected external scratches received in a variety of ways), pregnancy and guinea pigs and infections by lice, mites or fungus.
Mange mites (Trixacarus caviae) are a common cause of fur loss, whose symptoms also problems of guinea pigs vitamin vet may include excessive scratching, unusually raising guinea pigs aggressive behavior when touched (due to pain), and in some instances, seizures. If not treated, mange mites can rectal plug in guinea pigs be fatal. Mange mites are not visible to the naked eye. Vets may perform a "skin scraping" taking guinea pigs on long road trips to determine the the three guinea pigs - poem by neldi harper presence of mites (or a fungal infection), although this procedure is often painful and may result in a false negative result. Mange treating ear infections in guinea pigs mites are commonly treated with several doses unique names for guinea pigs of ivermectin, available through a veterinarian.
Guinea pigs may also suffer from "running what do they like to eat, cats,dogs, and guinea pigs lice" (Gliricola porcelli) a small white insect which can be seen running through fur. Ivermectin or Advantage (imidacloprid), what's special about a guinea pigs tail are often used to treat these and other types of lice.
Other causes of where do guinea pigs originate fur loss can be due to hormonal upsets caused by underlying medical conditions such as white guinea pigs ovarian cysts. Other signs 1 day old guinea pigs of ovarian cysts include enlarged nipples and sexually aggressive behavior. Ovarian cysts are frequently diagnosed via ultrasound and treated by spaying the sow. 32 guinea pigs If left untreated, cysts may fatally rupture.
Guinea pigs are "prey animals" whose survival instinct abbysinnian guinea pigs is to mask pain and signs of adorable guinea pigs illness, and many times signs of illness may not be apparent until a problem is severe or agouti guinea pigs in its advanced stages. Common early symptoms of problems are:
all breeds of guinea pigs
A red and white texel with Torticollis, or wry neck
- Lethargy (reduced an guinea pigs eat strawberries activity)
- Blood present in cage or on animal
- Sitting in a hunched position with fur puffed are guinea pigs lagomorphs out
- Discharge from eyes (see note below), nose or ears
- Raspy-sounding vocalizations
- Wheezing or are guinea pigs true rodents difficulty breathing
- Lack of feces output (older, unneutered boars may suffer from big cages for guinea pigs impaction)
- Head tilt or loss of balance (may indicate an ear infection)
- Wheeking while urinating (may indicate biting and guinea pigs bladder infection or bladder stones/sludge)
- Sensitivity to touch
- Fur loss
- Excessive scratching
- Weight loss
- Rapid weight breeds of guinea pigs gain/shifting of bodily weight (may indicate ovarian cysts, etc.)
Guinea pigs normally secrete buying guinea pigs in az a milky-white fluid near their eyes. Upon secretion of this fluid, the cavy will usually raise his front c & c cages guinea pigs calics in guinea pigs hair paws and groom himself.
Domestic guinea pigs
A long-haired lilac, orange and white Satin Peruvian Guinea pig
Guinea pigs are widely considered to be good pets. can guinea pigs take baths They are generally easy to can hamsters and guinea pigs play together care for, although they do require frequent cage cleaning and companionship. If handled early in their life by care of baby guinea pigs caring owners, they become very care of guinea pigs cavey's amenable to being picked up and carried about, even by younger children. caring for pregnant guinea pigs They are considered by many to be very cute and are very verbal (they squeak) in contact with humans. Guinea pigs who become familiar cartoon pictures of guinea pigs with their human seem to consider them part of their clinical research human guinea pigs herd, and become distraught when separated for long periods.
Domesticated guinea pigs come in many breeds which cold symptoms in guinea pigs have been developed since their arrival in Europe and North America. These varieties common deseases that kill guinea pigs vary widely in hair and color cuy guinea pigs composition. The most common breeds found in pet stores dancing guinea pigs are the English Short Hair, also called American, (known in Europe as the diarrhea in guinea pigs Self breed) which has a smooth, glossy, short coat, and the Abyssinian which has a rough coat made of cowlicks, crests, and swirls called different types of guinea pigs rosettes. The number of rosettes on an Abyssinian varies, but do guinea pigs like living underground eight or more are required in a purebred (Show quality) animal. A white crested (known do guinea pigs need green veg and grass in Europe as American Crested) also has a rosette, but only one that is always do you have to give guinea pigs hay white and at the top eating guinea pigs peru of their head (crown). The Peruvian has very long hair, hanging all the way to enteritis in guinea pigs the ground. Sometimes it is hard to tell their front exotic guinea pigs sale from their back. Another long-haired guinea pig is a Silkie (known female guinea pigs in Europe as a Sheltie). Very much like a Peruvian, but with no hair in front of flying guinea pigs their face. A rare new breed known as the Texel has long hair like the Peruvian, but this hair is guinea pigs + injuries curly and does not come over their face. And almost all of guinea pigs - sqeaking these breeds guinea pigs agree mp3 comes in a satin too. Example: Peruvian Satin, American Satin. This is when the hair shafts are hollow, and guinea pigs american staten are extremely shiny. Each of these breeds come in a number of colors and patterns.
All over guinea pigs and aggressive behavior the world there are Cavy Clubs and Associations dedicated to the guinea pigs and blood pressure showing and breeding of guinea pigs. guinea pigs and pet therapy ACBA (American Cavy Breeders Association) is the governing body in the United States. In Canada, the OCC (Ontario Cavy Club) is guinea pigs and pregnancy the most prominent club, and many others exist. Each club publishes its own guinea pigs andes Standard of Perfection and determines what breeds are eligible for showing.
Guinea pigs in scientific research
In English, the term "Guinea pig" is often used as guinea pigs cats a metaphor for a guinea pigs colds subject of scientific experimentation. This notion persists even though guinea pigs are now much less commonly used as guinea pigs diets experimental animals.
In the past they had been used guinea pigs eye infections to isolate different guinea pigs facts bacterial strains, but in modern labs they have been replaced by mice and rats, guinea pigs for adoption which reproduce more quickly and which are more completely characterized genetically.
A peculiarity guinea pigs for sale in georgia of guinea pigs as research animals is that they are highly sensitive to penicillin, guinea pigs for sale, wv which can cause potentially fatal cases of diarrhea and/or toxemia. The cause of this is not certain, and is all the guinea pigs games more peculiar guinea pigs hair colours hairless since, according to some researchers, the reaction is seasonal , and others do not report any toxicity at all. One theory is guinea pigs having babies that the antibiotic actually kills off intestinal microflora that the guinea pig needs guinea pigs health guide for digestion, rather than poisoning the animal itself, leaving it vulnerable to an opportunistic infection guinea pigs mating by Clostridium difficile and similar pathogens. This fact, guinea pigs piggy wild cavy mentioned in a well-known speech by guinea pigs sight Howard Florey, is often used as an argument against the efficacy of animal testing.
Guinea pig guinea pigs surprise, arizona strains used in scientific research are primarily guinea pigs tails outbred strains. Many laboratory guinea pig strains are based on the Dunkin-Hartley English strain and are guinea pigs tested albino, although pigmented strains are also available. Inbred strains are less common and are usually used for very specific research, such as guinea pigs to buy springfield, mo guinea pigs types pictures immune system molecular biology. Of the inbred strains that have been created, the two that are guinea pigs vision still used with any frequency are "Strain 2" and "Strain guinea pigs wake forset nc 13".
Their main value to medical research is that they are guinea pigs with eye infections one of the few animals which, like humans, cannot synthesize Vitamin C but must obtain it from diet.
Guinea pigs also have an unusual insulin mutation which makes it homosexual guinea pigs a suitable species for the generation of anti-insulin antibodies.
On 20 how guinea pigs tail January 2006 Darley Oaks Farm in the United Kingdom ceased operating and therefore how much are guinea pigs at petsmart ceased breeding guinea pigs for scientific research and animal testing, after a 7 how to clip my guinea pigs nails year campaign by the Save the Newchurch Guinea Pigs animal rights campaign.
Guinea pigs how to cut guinea pigs nails as food
Guinea pigs (called cuy, cuye, curí) were originally domesticated for their meat in the Andes.
As food, how to get guinea pigs to love you the guinea pig is described how to raise guinea pigs to sell as a combination of rabbit and the dark meat on chicken, though in colour, taste, and the fineness how to take cair of guinea pigs of bones the gourmet will be reminded of quail. It is high in protein (21%) and low in fat how to take care of guinea pigs for kids (8%)
. Due to the fact that they require much how to tell if guinea pigs are male or female less room than traditional livestock and how to toilet train guinea pigs reproduce extremely quickly when compared to traditional stock animals, they can be raised as a source of food in an urban environment—unlike human guinea pigs and secret experiments most livestock animals.
To this day, cuye continues to be a major part of the hutch designs for guinea pigs diet in Peru and Bolivia, particularly in info http home listings ebay com the Andes Mountains highlands, where they are an important source of protein and a mainstay of interesting facts about guinea pigs Andean folk medicine. Peruvians consume an estimated 65 million Guinea pigs each year, introducing guinea pigs and the animal is so entrenched in the culture kids science experiment guinea pigs that one famous painting of the Last Supper in the main cathedral in Cusco, lice and guinea pigs Peru shows Christ and the twelve disciples dining on guinea pig.
Guinea pigs are also consumed in Ecuador, mainly in the littleton guinea pigs Sierra region of the country, but are not depended upon as a staple male guinea pigs source of protein.
Guinea pigs in metal guinea pigs the popular imagination
Guinea pigs have received much less attention from nematodes in guinea pigs writers, artists, or the popular media than other similar animals. Recently there have been more appearances of guinea pigs in books, orange guinea pigs film, television and other media.
- Olga da Polga, pampers for guinea pigs a guinea pig with a wild imagination and adventurous spirit, is the main penh measurements on guinea pigs character in a number of books written by Michael Bond.
- Fluffy The Classroom Guinea Pig stars in a series people for pigs guinea pigs rescue of early personality of guinea pigs reader books written by Kate McMullan and illustrated by Mavis Smith.
- In The Magician's Nephew (the sixth published book pet guinea pigs for sale and first chronologically of The Chronicles of Narnia series), a guinea pig is the petco guinea pigs first creature to travel to the Wood between the Worlds by means of Uncle Andrew's magic rings photos of different breeds of guinea pigs – thus a picters of guinea pigs guinea pig is instrumental in beginning all the adventures in Narnia. When Digory and Polly encounter the guinea pig in the Wood, they decide pictures of guinea pigs conception to birth to leave poem by neldi harper - the three guinea pigs it alone, as it seems "perfectly happy" to live there. Its fate is unknown.
- The picture book "John Willy potty training guinea pigs and Freddy McGee" by Holly Meade tells of the adventures psoriasis in guinea pigs of two bored guinea pigs who escape from their cage and explore their house.
- The short story Pigs is Pigs by Ellis purebred peruvian guinea pigs Parker Butler is a tale of bureacratic incompetence as two guinea rabbits and guinea pigs as companions pigs held at a train station breed unchecked while humans argue as to whether red and white guinea pigs they are "pigs" for the purpose of determining freight charges (this story probably respiratory diseases of guinea pigs was the inspiration for Robert A. Heinlein's flatcats, salmonella and guinea pigs and is reminiscent of the infamous tribbles of Star Trek).
- The Fairy Caravan sketches of guinea pigs is a novel by Beatrix Potter which follows the adventures of Tuppenny, a young guinea pig who runs away from surprise, arizona teddy guinea pigs cavy home to join teddy guinea pigs in tampa a travelling circus.
- Do Wrong Ron, written by Steven Herrick and illustrated by Caroline Magerl, is a story about a boy named Ron who can't do anything tortoise shell and white colored guinea pigs transplantation and guinea pigs right. He has a Guinea pig named Charlie, and the story is puncuated with sections written from Charlie's point of types of food for guinea pigs view
- The Guinea Pigs by Czech author Ludvik Vaculik is an allegory for Soviet uk retailers + toy guinea pigs domination and totalitarianism.
- Harriet Ziefert and Arnold Lobel's Where's the Guinea what can guinea pigs chew on Pig? is a chronicle of a little guinea pig who gets out of his pen, and explores the garden. It is what do guinea pigs need a clay guinea pig who what not to feed pet guinea pigs is illustrated, and he likes the garden.
Film and when to feed pregnant guinea pigs milk slop television
- Rodney (voiced by Chris Rock) was a prominent character in the Dr. Dolittle movie starring where guinea pigs originated Eddie Murphy and Kyla Pratt.
- Ray along with his rabbit buddy Carl voiced by Jim Belushi and James where to buy guinea pigs Woods were spokesmammals for Blockbuster Video in an ad campaign during 2002. In the above examples the animals why do guinea pigs eat were computer generated.
- G.P. the Guinea Pig is a major character why do guinea pigs look the way they do in the children's show Tales of the Riverbank.
- In Power Rangers: Ninja Storm, the mentor of the Power Rangers, Sensei Watanabe has been turned into a wise talking Guinea Pig and advises the rangers in that form.
- Egg credit cards in the UK recently featured shopping guinea pigs in their advertising.
- The character Magenta (Kelly Vitz) can transform herself into a guinea pig in the movie Sky High (2005 film).
- Linny, a guinea pig, is the leader of The Wonder Pets, a television show on Nick Jr.
- Mister Guinea Pig, a blue guinea pig, appears on Pinky Dinky Doo on Noggin.
- Sampson from the Cartoon Network animated series Camp Lazlo is a Guinea Pig with a sensitive nose.
- In a commercial for Snapple there was a parody of the running of the bulls with guinea pigs in place of the bulls.
- A guinea pig is seen in a commercial promoting G4TV's Midnight Spank block in which the guinea pig threatens a sleeping man that it will the eat his remaining kidney (it had already eaten the first kidney while sleeping).
- Patagonian cavy
- Peter Gurney
- ^ Results for "Guinea pig". Dictionary.com. Retrieved on 2006-08-29.
- ^ Your Guinea Pigs' Home. Cavy Cages. Retrieved on 2006-08-29.
- ^ a b Guinea Lynx. Retrieved on 2006-08-29.
- ^ Some Medications are Deadly to Guinea Pigs. Guinea Lynx. Retrieved on 2006-08-29.
- ^ Grimmer, H (1967). The Sensitivity of Guinea Pigs to Penicillin. Defense Technical Information Center. Retrieved on 2006-08-29.
- ^ The truth about penicillin. RDS. Retrieved on 2006-08-29.
- ^ Rothman, SW (1981). Presence of Clostridium difficile toxin in guinea pigs with penicillin-associated colitis. PubMed. Retrieved on 2006-08-29.
- ^ The Truth About Penicillin. Foundation for Biomedical Research. Retrieved on 2006-08-29.
- ^ http://www.egg.com/visitor/0,,3_81609--View_1710,00.html
- ^ http://www.nickjr.com/home/shows/wond_parents/index.jhtml
- ^ http://www.noggin.com/shows/pinky.html
- ^ http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qr5wl7wzDoI&search=snapple%20guinea%20pig
- ^ http://youtube.com/watch?v=jI-ObHzkw78&search=G4TV
- Guinea Pigs Club
- Guinea Pig Cages, Your Guinea Pig's Home
- GuineaLynx Care and Medical Guide
- ACBA - American Cavy Breeders' Association
- BBC article on Peruvian super-cavies
- Report on Guinea Pigs by Livestock Research for Rural Development in Colombia
- Guinea Pig Association - Reference Information
Look up guinea pig in
Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Wikispecies has information related to:
Categories: Articles with unsourced statements | Model organisms | Animals kept as pets | Cavies | Peruvian cuisine | Bolivian cuisine | Ecuadorian cuisine | Meat